Traffic flow across the Santragachi Road Over Bridge (ROB) at the Kona Expressway, which is planned to be repaired for “Replacement of damaged Expansion Joints and other allied works at Kolkata Side Viaduct,” is to be regulated and restricted in the public interest beginning on November 19, 2022.
On November 9, 2022, at a meeting in Nabanna, Howrah, West Bengal, which was presided over by the Chief Secretary of that government, discussions in this respect were held in the presence of all parties involved.Whereas, it has been told to make sure that emergency vehicles, including goods vehicles, can move through the areas that are under the control of the Howrah Police Commissionerate’s territorial jurisdiction without incident.
As a result, I, Shri Binod Kumar, IAS, Principal Secretary to the Government of West Bengal, hereby direct restriction of the following traffic movement as per traffic movement plan prepared by the Public Works Department mentioned below, in accordance with the powers granted to the undersigned under sections 112(2), 115, 116, and 117 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, as amended.
1. During the entire time that Santragachi ROB is being repaired, no goods vehicles are allowed to use it. However, between 5:00 a.m. and 23:00 p.m. every day, all passenger cars, buses, emergency small vehicles, and ambulances are permitted to use Santragachi Road Over Bridge (RB).
2. All emergency small vehicles, ambulances, and passenger cars and buses will be permitted to use the 2nd Hooghly Bridge Toll Plaza, Hangsung Crossing, Drainage Canal Road, Shanpur Crossing, Howrah Amta Road, Salap Crossing, and NH-16 (previously NH-6) continuously every day and vice versa.
3. All passenger cars, buses, emergency small vehicles, and ambulances may use the Howrah Andul Road-Mourigram ROB- Alampur-NH-16 2nd Hooghly Bridge Toll Plaza. (formerly NH-6) 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
4. All trucks heading toward Dhulagarh from the Kolkata side of the NH-16 (previously NH-6) may only use the 2nd Hooghly Bridge Toll Plaza, HWH Andul Road, Alampur, and NH-16 between the hours of 22:00 and 06:00. All goods vehicles travelling on NH-2 from the Kolkata side may only use the Tala Bridge, Nibedita Setu, Maitypara, and Dankuni crossing between the hours of 22:00 and 06:00. No goods vehicles are permitted to enter from Alampur via Andul Road and proceed to the 2nd Hooghly Bridge Toll.
5. Between 22:00 and 06:00, all goods vehicles travelling to Kolkata on NH-16 (previously NH-6) may use the Dhulagarh-Alampur-Nibra-CCR Bridge-Nibedita Setu-Tala Bridge to enter the city. Between 22:00 and 06:00, all goods vehicles using the NH-2 to travel to Kolkata are permitted to use the Dankuni crossing and Maitypara-Nibedita Setu-Tala Bridge.
6. Goods vehicles travelling from Kolkata to Mourigram ROB via Andul Road should have a maximum height of 4.5 metres.
7. The point of destination(s) should be prominently displayed on the windscreens of goods vehicles so that the police can easily recognise the vehicles and direct them to the correct location.